Security enhancements coming to WebBanking.

At Allegacy, we made a promise to ensure the security of your financial information. As part of our ongoing efforts to fulfill this promise and, in order to comply with new Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) issued guidelines, security enhancements will be coming to WebBanking™ .

Here’s a look at what’s coming on July 26:

• A stronger login. If your current login does not meet the following criteria, you’ll be asked to update your username and/or password:
    • Username must have six or more characters and be a combination of letters and numbers. If you currently use your Member Number to access WebBanking, you will need to create a new username.
    • Password must be at least six characters and must include numbers and letters.
  • An access code. Enter a phone number to receive an access code via text and/or phone call.
    • You will need this phone during the login process.
    • You can ask the system to remember your computer or mobile device so you do not have to repeat this step every time you log in.
    • You will need a new access code sent to your phone for each computer or mobile device that is not recognized by the system.

While it’s not yet necessary to take action, we encourage you to create a username and password that meet the criteria mentioned above prior to July 26. To do so, just click on ‘Preferences’ in the top menu of your WebBanking account.

Read the frequently asked questions for more details about this upgrade and what you can expect.

We are pleased to bring you this security upgrade to make managing your accounts online even more secure. To ensure we do not inconvenience you with these enhancements, our Member Service Representatives will be available by phone during extended hours to better meet your busy schedule.

Member Services Extended Hours

• Thursday, July 26th – 7:30 am – 7:30 pm
  • Friday, July 27th – 7:30 am – 7:30 pm
  • Saturday, July 28th – 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
  • Sunday, July 29th – 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
  • Monday, July 30th – 7:30 am – 7:30 pm

About The Allegacy Smart Blog Team

We are a group of Allegacy employees with the mission of moderating a platform that informs, shares and educates.

, , ,

25 Responses to Security enhancements coming to WebBanking.

1. ken swicegood June 27, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

My mom, Alice died in Oct 2010 so her account should be closed. I handled her finicial affairs and used my E-mail address and her account number to access her account. I still conduct my bussiness and use my e-mail address for my account at Allegacy.

Thanks, Ken swicegood

• The Allegacy Smart Blog Team June 28, 2012 at 12:40 pm #

Hi Ken,

It sounds as though you received an email regarding our WebBanking enhancements for both of your accounts (the one in your name and the one in your mother’s name that you now handle). Is that correct? If so, you received two because this is an account maintenance update that requires us to notify all members, so we did not remove any duplicates that share the same email address. In general email communications we do remove the duplicates, which is why you may have received just one email in the past. I hope this alleviates any confusion. If you have another question regarding these accounts, please feel free to post another comment or email AskAllegacy@AllegacyFCU.org.

Thank you for choosing Allegacy!

• Shirley Spease July 12, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

Its hard now remembering all the different passwords and login names, how many times will I have to change this.

2. James Gibbs June 29, 2012 at 4:06 pm #

I understand the first part and the reason it is needed/required. I do for see a problem with the second part. What about us folks that are not using and have no plan to use these new snappy phone with a texting thing. Unless you include email via a regular lap top as an option to receive an access code you will eliminate me from internet banking.
    1) I reside most of the time outside the USA
    2) Without some kind of cell phone that works internationally which are available, but expensive I will not be able to receive an access code and therefor be denied access to my accounts to track credit/debit card use as I travel.

3. Sam Ong June 30, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Questions:
    1) I l am currently overseas for an extended period and have a foreign mobile number (and do not have an US number). If the new security system requires an access code through a mobile number, will the system be able to dial overseas so I can receive the access code when I try to access the account? If not, what could be an alternative solution?
    2) my current email is used to access multiple (family) accounts. Will the system allow me to have one email for multiple accounts?

4. Neil Tolbert July 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

James and Sam, international numbers will soon be supported. In the meantime, the alternative will be that you have the option to receive the PIN via email.

5. Nancy Stroud July 12, 2012 at 9:31 am #

Is there a plan in place to accomodate changing phones? If we discontinue one service, how will we be assured the information will not be sent to the old number? I have found this to be an on going problem with cell phone numbers. When we purchased our phones from Verosin, we recieved multiple calls asking for the previous owners of that number.

• Neil Tolbert July 12, 2012 at 9:55 am #

Yes, you would simply log into WebBanking and update your phone number. The prompt will also ask for confirmation of the phone number to send the PIN to as well.

6. K Fansler July 16, 2012 at 7:40 am #

I think perhaps you folks haven’t considered fully the access code issue. The option to send it through email is foolish — you should never put anything in an email that you wouldn’t put on a postcard. Also a family can have multiple accounts, multiple computers, multiple mobile devices, and multiple phones, so the whole issue of transmitting access codes this way is not very clean, cost effective, or appropriate. What’s wrong with the already used practice of requiring answers to security questions if the device isn’t recognized?

• Neil Tolbert July 16, 2012 at 4:17 pm #

The email option is only to assist our members who are serving in the military overseas or with an international phone number. International phone number support will be available later this fall.

Your question regarding the practice of using the security questions. The most common cases of fraud occur when people have a virus or malware on their pc that is collecting their key strokes (a key logger). Whoever is monitoring the malware can then see the answers to the security questions as every key stroke made on the compromised machine are being recorded.

Using the phone provides an “Out of Band” option where your passcode is more secure and unable to be tracked.

The other element is this is a part of new FFIEC regulation regarding online banking security requirements. ALL financial institutions are required to comply by end of year 2012.

• Jo Graham July 19, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

To address keylogging, there is a FANTASTIC program called KeyScrambler (for Windows, no MACs) that will scramble EVERY key you type in your browser. Most browsers are covered.. You can use the free version for this. I have the Pro because that will also cover chats and AOL.

I agree with everyone else about requiring a phone number. It isn’t quite clear to me if this is going to require a CELL phone. I don’t take my (landline) phone with me when visiting out of state. So am I supposed to give up someone else’s phone number? I think not. I too will be locked out of using Allegacy online and I am NOT ONE BIT happy. Being on a fixed income and sometimes needing immediate access to acct info instead of waiting for the printed statement that I will have to return to is often necessary several times a month.

Personally, I think this is another measure to tie us to anything else we are doing, and it smacks of more big brother. I really liked FIACARDSERVICES/Bank of America’s method of added security, all done online. Getting a virus or whatever makes no difference, one can still use another computer.

This new service should be for those who wish it, and an extra step of more security questions (like B of A) should be offered to those who don’t wish it. I really DON’T want to leave Allegacy because Allegacy has been the best banking experience since we began banking in the ’60s, but I am not going to bank anywhere that begins more of this big brother stuff, ESP if the GOV’T is requiring it…that begs the question WHY…and it isn’t for OUR security.

7. PBullock July 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm #

Novel idea!!!!!

8. BOlson July 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm #

On the new Security Enhancements, you state that I will need a phone to receive a text or an automated voice message. Will my home phone answering machine suffice?

• Neil Tolbert July 20, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Cell phone would work best and most people have their cell phone with them regardless of logging in from work or home.

If retired and most often access WebBanking from home, then receiving the voice call to your home number would be correct.

Having it left on an answering machine probably isn’t the best option but I am sure it would work if you did not answer the phone after requesting the PIN.

9. Bob Edwards July 25, 2012 at 10:51 am #

I’m sure you believe this is necessary for power users, but for those like myself who only keep money in accounts at Allegacy it is a nuisance. How about stratifying the system so that enhanced proceedures are only necessary for those using enhanced services?

10. upset customer July 27, 2012 at 9:53 pm #

Do not mine the change but why did you change the pass word I had set up and you changed my security question so now me or my wife can not get into out online account unless we change it PLEASE LEAVE OUR ACCOUNT ALONE THANK YOU

• Neil Tolbert July 28, 2012 at 8:15 am #

Please contact Member Services and we’ll be happy to assist you. Our hours this weekend are:

Saturday, July 28th – 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
      Sunday, July 29th – 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm

11. Darryl A. Prince, Sr. July 28, 2012 at 8:06 pm #

I was set up with new password and username and now nothing is working !

• Neil Tolbert July 30, 2012 at 8:28 am #

Please contact Member Services at 336-774-3400 so that we can assist you. You may also reach a representative through Live Chat via our website.

12. John S July 31, 2012 at 9:48 am #

I value the fact that you all are looking out for the security of my private information. For those of us who have had family/friends affected by hacked accounts and stolen card numbers, we understand the importance and value in the few initial extra steps that we need to take to update our accounts in an effort to add security. I’m still in my twenties and consider myself fairly tech savvy, so I do have strong knowledge of how to use a phone and this entire process was, in fact, a breeze for me. I also know that stealing personal banking information is getting easier and easier with the increase of new technology and its use, so any steps I CAN take to improve the security of my most personal information will be welcomed with arms wide open.

I get it. Some don’t like change. Take a minute to analyze the benefits of better security AND the fact that Allegacy is looking out for us. In my opinion, that far outweighs the minor technical difficulties some of you might have. Just saying…

13. Karen R August 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm #

This new security system is a real pain. I don’t have text messaging and therefore, they are sending the access code to my email. I have a slow computer and when I have to have two sites opened at once it really slows down. Once you are in the Allegacy site you can’t back out of it to get your email or they send you another access code – phew it could be never ending!!!

Once you change things where you MUST use a phone, I will have no access to my account. I don’t have and don’t plan to have text messaging – so I guess you folks are really protecting me by denying me access to my account on a daily basis.

You have made the process so cumbersome, I likely won’t access my account as often because it is such a pain. Great protection!

14. Lacey James August 2, 2012 at 12:49 pm #

We too are on a fixed income and travel to our childrens’ homes on a regular basis. We don’t give up cell phone numbers to ANY business, they are strictly for emergency use.
    This is because they keep a record of every number you call, every conversation you have, in a data base, per government requirement. Cell phone carriers have no business knowing who I bank with if I don’t wish them to, and being forced to let them have the info isn’t gonna happen.

This is another method for the gov’t to compile info on individuals. HOW can using a phone system that keeps your conversations on record be more secure than entering a password and several answers to security questions, that, when typed in, are encrypted, and possible using a picture of one’s choosing as another for for identification??

Answer, it’s NOT, and I am wondering why you guys at the top don’t know this, and if you don’t, how you have your jobs. If you do know this, then I wonder why you didn’t fight this supposed government REQUIREMENT or at least get our input BEFORE you accepted it.

We may switch from Allegacy to one of our children’s credit unions or BANKS that will allow any alternative other than using a PHONE to pretend to be secure.

That 20 yr old who thinks he gets it? He is apparently ok with the gov’t having any info on him they wish as long as he has cool stuff to access everything with. We are not.

I encourage EVERYONE who agrees with me to look for an alternative place to bank, one you can use with ease as we did before with Allegacy. Older people don’t need this hassle, or inconsiderate treatment, OR sneaky ways to gather info on us. WE ARE FED UP.

Respectfully,
    Lacey James
    on vacation, with no way to check our home acct to see if my bookkeeping is accurate. My daughter graciously created an acct here in Tampa for us to use!

• Neil Tolbert August 3, 2012 at 2:00 pm #

After hearing member feedback and concerns we did add the ability to receive your PIN via email. This was an option strictly to fulfill the request and concern of our members. It is possible that financial institutions probably will not offer the same or being willing to compromise as receiving the PIN via email is NOT an out of band security practice. All banks and Credit Unions will be made to comply with these new guidelines by 2013.

• karen R August 7, 2012 at 7:26 am #

So in other words, your are going to FORCE us to use text messaging to gain access to our accounts. Tell me, what if I choose not to have a cell phone where I get text messaging. I don’t have it, DO NOT WANT IT! I guess if I make that choice, I might as well close my account and go elsewhere, or not access my checking account. By the way, I have tried for three weeks to access my checking account after banking hours and it doesn’t work. I have pointed out this problem twice by emailing Allegacy with no response. So I guess it doesn’t matter if I can’t get a pin because I can’t get into the account anyway! GREAT PLAN!

• Neil Tolbert August 8, 2012 at 1:10 pm #

You can receive the security PIN via email. You do not need a cell phone or ability to text. The system will also call you at your home or work phone and provide the security PIN over the phone.

Sorry that you missed us during our extended weekday service hours. We were also available on Saturday and Sunday after the change to help members get logged in. We will glad to help you get properly set up, please contact Member Service at 336.774.3400 when you have a moment.